People buying Rosh Hashanah greeting cards from a street vendor in Tel Aviv, 1955.
gimme honey sticksTags: #pictures
the four leaf clover he put in my hair for good luck is something i hold onto. i’ve made it a symbol of something that never was.
i think it was our shared childhood that drove us to love each other the way we did.
only until i do what i always do, which is destroy.
"he puts up with your shit and he doesn’t even get to kiss you," he had told me, ridden in jealousy, before planting a fat one on my face. "did he ever kiss you?"
sweet consolation for him from me, something i never got in return.
"are you going to be in Israel this summer?" he asked.
"what about New York in September?"
"when will I see you again?" he asked, holding onto a ghost of a past that never existed.
The first came with phone calls passed midnight that had caused him a discomfort in the upper abdomen after we said good bye. Soon the indigestion of talking to me had caused him to grow irritable. But the trick of our similarities, now long gone, had locked me in. I was in love until a kiss in a movie theater with another.
Still a child, I hid from him under the covers “I can’t go out in the rain,” I said. And twice, the second time in another form, he coughed me up, the indigestion just too bad. And oddly enough, it hurt both times to be chewed, partially digested, and then spit out.
"I remember the yummy taste of your fingers," he said before the second attempt to swallow.
"Oh, but I’m not even whole anymore, what will you chew on?" I inquired.
"I’ll figure it out," he said, and attempted, futility, once more.
One morning, not long after, when my fingernails were beginning to grow back after being eaten and coughed up twice, a fourth form approached me. “If you let me consume you, you will stop giving others indigestion,” I was told.
"No!" I couldn’t risk it. I liked having fingernails. I shouted, pushed, shoved, and gave every excuse I could: my hair is cotton, yours is wool; i cannot be fixed; i have not healed. I bit and scratched. But it did not matter. I was going to be fixed. He convinced me of similarities that did not exist to lock me in. Made me feel fixable. Showed me a smile. But he too could not stomach the feeling I inevitably gave everyone who tasted my flesh. He too left me a masticated clump of life to regrow on my own.
The thing that drives me crazy about Golda Meir’s time in office is how her racism blinded her ability to see critical pieces of the Marxist dialectic unfolding in her country. She had thousands of Mizrahi and Sephardi citizens literally gaining class consciousness and taking to the streets to revolt against their oppression and poverty.
What does she do?
Send police to sic them, and break their skulls. Silence them. Mitigate and mock their struggle by claiming they “are not nice boys,” and call Mizrahim barbarians. She asks what kind of Jew would throw a Molotov cocktail at a fellow Jew, while as the most powerful woman in her country she allowed thousands of her own Jews to starve in the streets.
In the Mapai’s eyes did communism only belong to the white Ashkenazi Jew?
big sign says “Golda, teach us Yiddish”
- “Sure, Hitler did terrible things, but you have to admit he was a brilliant man!” I have to do no such thing. He was a shiftless, self-absorbed layabout who found pontificating and rabble-rousing easier than doing actual work. Like many essentially worthless human beings, he did have a great deal of skill in manipulation, which enabled him to draw people in and use them, but I don’t call that genius.
- “The Nazis eliminated unemployment!” Any improvements the Nazis made in the German economy were short-term and unsustainable. Unemployment was eliminated in a manner of speaking — by running up ridiculous amounts of debt, cutting wages by 25%, and interning or declaring ineligible a sizable portion of the work force. Rationing began in 1937, two years before the invasion of Poland — a healthy peacetime economy does not have rationing. Their economic model relied on taking over other countries and stealing their resources — it was the only hope they had of making up the deficit.
- “The Nazis were brutally efficient!” Nothing the Nazis did was even remotely efficient. Hitler’s idea of governing was to put businesses and state departments in direct competition with each other for his personal favor. This resulted in massive corruption, bureaucratic bottlenecks, and an untold waste of time and resources. The economy wasn’t put on a full wartime footing until 1942 because no one was able or willing to do so.
- “Okay, maybe Hitler wasn’t that smart, but he was still a military genius!” Germany’s military successes during the first half of the war can best be explained by their choice of opponents — most countries were hopelessly overwhelmed, while France not-so-secretly wanted to be Germany’s girlfriend — and by the skill of the senior officers who came up through the old imperial system. When faced with opponents who actually had their shit together (and in the case of Soviet Russia that’s being charitable) Hitler’s vaunted strategic abilities were shown for their true worth — little to none.
- “Nazi science was phenomenal!” Please stop learning things from History Channel specials about “Hitler’s UFOs.” The Nazis sucked as bad at science as they did at everything else, in large part because they outright rejected a lot of theoretical advances as “Jewish science” and drove some of their greatest minds out of the country (who promptly came to the US). There’s a reason we developed the atom bomb first, and it’s because we had all their best scientists and they were left with the time-servers and jackboot-lickers.
- “But if they hadn’t invaded Russia they would’ve won the war!” Anyone who offers this as a counterfactual has completely failed to understand what Nazism was about, and it bugs the shit out of me. This wasn’t some accidental miscalculation. It was actually the entire point of National Socialism, the entire point of the whole war — carving out “living space” in the East. Was it a stupid thing to do? Sure! But here’s the thing you need to understand about the Nazis: hatred always won out over practical considerations. They hated Russians, they hated Communism, they wanted to destroy Russia’s Jews, and they weren’t about to let silly things like “reality” or “good sense” get in the way of their glorious destiny. It’s the same thing as rejecting good science because it was developed by Jewish people. They didn’t give a shit about objective reality; all they cared about was the glory of the German race and the destruction of all others. If you don’t understand this, you will never understand Nazi Germany, and you will continue to swallow lies like the ones listed above.
tl;dr: Nazi Germany was a huge fucking mess from beginning to end and anyone who says otherwise is totally ignorant and very likely a Nazi apologist.
shout out to Wesley, who sat next to me in 8th grade social studies and said antisemitic things, including “Hitler was a great leader” and “FDR was Jewish,” the whole school year.
Another shout out to Connor in my 10th grade Global class that disagreed with Mrs. Gnazzo (my goddess) when she said the Nazi system sucked, then wrote a paper about how awesome a leader Hitler was.
goyim: “I don’t care if your recent relatives lived in an Arab country, you can’t speak Arabic or eat Arab food or sing traditional Arab music because it’s appropriation!”
goyim: “ugh, you don’t need your own country, Jews belong ANYWHERE and it’s okay for you to live like everyone else in the country!”
A population of snails is preyed upon by birds that break the snails open on rocks, eat the soft bodies, and leave the shells. The snails occur in both striped and unstriped forms. In one area, researchers counted both live snails and broken shells. Their data are summarized below:
cried to my dad about it over the phone for half and hour, then proceeded to feel sorry for myself for the next four hours.
turns out I got an 89.
I’m a pathetic human being.
man, I’m sick of gentiles treating Judaism like an exotic fruit they don’t know how to cut, eat unripened, then spit out.
We’re not your “white man’s burden.”
please don’t celebrate messianic Passover seders then tell me what’s wrong with my religion. please don’t tell me what’s wrong with my religion.
this isn’t your heritage to cherry pick at.